Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Green Monster Smoothie Challenge: Check!

So today was Day 7 of the weeklong Green Monster Smoothie Challenge that I decided to join last week.  I went with what I know works: banana, pineapple, plain Greek yogurt, vanilla protein powder, a splash of milk, and a few ice cubes to thicken my breakfast shake to smoothie consistency.

DSC_0206

I actually made a half-serving of my smoothie because we had a company meeting at the office first thing today, and I’d made a Peanut Butter and Jelly Coffee Cake to share with my coworkers.  I didn’t try it the night before so I of course had to have a small piece and it was worth it.  This coffee cake came together very quickly and easily – give it a try!

But back to the challenge.

DSC_0207

I’m very glad I opened my mind (and my mouth) to the Green Monster.  With spinach as a main ingredient, I found that you can’t throw just anything else into the blender with it and expect something yummy to come out.  That being said, I would like to try one with cherries so I guess I’ll keep my fingers crossed as I push the blender buttons and maybe have another meal on the sidelines in case my smoothie isn’t palatable.

DSC_0209

I don’t know if it was the amount of protein or fiber or sheer number of calories – or a combo of any or all of those things – but the smoothie definitely helped me not be starving so soon after breakfast in the morning.  I’d normally eat my banana and yogurt by 7:30 and drink about 3 cups of water on my way to work, and my stomach would literally be growling by 8:45 and I’d have to force myself to wait until at least 9:30 before I had my morning snack.

So, final verdict?  I’m a convert!  I like spinach in my salads and on my Subway sandwiches every Wednesday (and especially in a hot dip with cheese and artichokes), but my favorite way to eat it is in a smoothie.

DSC_0212

Thank you Jen and Katherine for coming together and inviting us to join you in this challenge. 

So…what’s next? Smile

No comments: