Friday, October 15, 2010

Recipe Recap: Mexican Mocha Bundt Cake

I made this cake a while ago and told my mom and the McMom about it. They both thought it sounded good, and the McMom asked if I could bring some to Charlotte this past weekend. It was pretty easy to make so I said sure, I'd whip one up and take it with us to share with everyone.

When I made it the first time, I skipped the pudding layer. It just seemed unnecessary, and it seemed like a fair number of the negative comments this recipe got pertained to that part of the recipe.

No pudding layer = success! The cake tasted like I expected: chocolate and cinnamon. I'm a big fan of that combo.
















I left the coffee granules out but kept the Kahlua in. I also added a simple glaze, which pretty much soaked into the cake, and sprinkled a cinnamon-sugar mixture over the top.
















I really liked the chocolate chips in the bread. It was nice to have that extra concentrated dose of chocolate when a bite included them.





















Okay, on to the second time I made the cake.

Pudding layer = fail.

The edges and the outer parts of the cake were done but I couldn't get the middle to set up. Wanna see what happens when there's no Bundt pan to hold your cake together?



















The yellow isn't egg, that's the pudding. Now, I will have to say that I learned one important thing in making this cake. (I know, you're like, "Really, she only learned ONE important thing?") Adding Kahlua to French Vanilla pudding takes the pudding to a whole 'nother level. I can't wait to try White Chocolate pudding with Bailey's in it.

While the cake looks like a total mess, it actually tasted just fine. It worked out well as a molten cake warmed up with some ice cream on top. So the ooze factor was a problem at first, but I was able to salvage the dessert in the end.

{Recipe here}

3 comments:

McMom said...

MAN --- that looks a WHOLE lot worse than what I tasted!!! It was GREAT with the pudding "layer", but I THINK I would prefer it w/o --- with Blue Bell, of course!! BUT you have to come to Charlotte for that!! Thanks for bringing the sampling of it! We had a fun weekend! McMom

Gma said...

All I know is that the "taste testing" I got was Y-U-M-M-M-Y!

Jenny said...

Steph, I am going to have to stop reading your Blog for a while... post pregnancy I have had such a sweet tooth and you have been a baking machine lately. Every time I read I start to crave more! All looks yummy!