Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Recipe Recap: Spicy Torte de Mexicana

This recipe is from the Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen site. (Could I get any more links into one sentence?)

My mom was visiting this past weekend, and I knew this dish would work for the three of us. We're all fans of Mexican food, and this way there was extra person to help the McHusband and me eat it.

Once the meat was browned with the onions and garlic and everything was seasoned, I started layering.

First came two tortillas, then half the meat, then half the cheese. I added a couple more tortillas and covered them with beans. Guess what's next? Yep, two more tortillas, the rest of the meat, then you know what to do - slap on two more tortillas. Basically, if in doubt, add a couple tortillas.

My pie plate overfloweth.


Layers: they aren't just for trifles.


You top everything off with the rest of the cheese, cover it with foil, and stick it in the oven for 40 minutes.

Fresh out of the oven.




Have yourself a slab of tortilla pie.




So long as we have a few extra people to help us eat it, this recipe's a keeper. Other than offering lots of protein, it really didn't have any redeeming healthy qualities. But it was easy to make and it tasted great. I think it'd make a great hearty dip, too, if you took out the 28 tortillas and instead served it with chips.

1 comment:

Gma said...

Definitely yummy!