Friday, April 15, 2011

Recipe Recap: Toffee Crunch Cookies

I knew we'd need rations to weather The Storm that was headed our way this past weekend. I made Shannon's favorite munchie, the spicy pretzels, and I stocked up on Classic Jelly Beans, which I kept in a bowl on the counter and were WAAAAY too accessible for the good of my waistline. I knew Mom and Shannon like to snack on those, and I used it as an excuse to finally break down and buy some Easter candy.

I also used their visit as a reason to make some cookies I'd had my eye on for a while. I highly recommend these cookies, particularly if you're looking to get away from chocolate (blasphemy!) and you like a soft cookie. I used plain toffee bits instead of the chocolate covered ones, thus the name change in the title of the post.

These came together very easily and I didn't even mind the minimum-one-hour chilling time necessary before I could bake them. I had stuff to do in preparation (a.k.a. battening down the hatches) for my visitors (a.k.a. the impending storm) so I kept busy and the hour flew by.

I liked that I got a TON of cookies out of this recipe. We all were guilty of grabbing one (or three) here and there throughout the weekend, and they were only finally gone right before everyone left on Sunday.





















Mmm... The toffee bits melted a little bit and their goodness spread just enough through the cookie.





















The other thing I made was a pumpkin Bundt bread with a streusel topping. I'd bought a boxed mix from Trader Joe's back in the fall and figured it would be a good thing to have on hand for this weekend. I made a Libby's pumpkin-bread-from-a-box a few years ago and that one was definitely better, but this one was fine.
















I added some of the streusel topping into the middle of the cake as well. You'll just have to trust me on that as it blends into the cake.





















I think I feel the same way about streusel as I do about diet Sprite added to my adult beverages: it makes most things better.





















Who wants to visit next? I've got a whole list of goodies I'm just dying to try!

No comments: