Sunday, March 21, 2010

Dining room debut

Before I show all the afters, let me remind you how the dining room looked when we moved in.
















And here's the hutch in the old dining room.





















Drum roll please...

What you see from the kitchen:





















We disassembled the hutch, painted the bottom portion, donated the upper part to Good Will, and added new hardware. I needed the cabinet part for not-so-pretty storage, and I got some floating shelves to use as decorative storage.





















The view from the foyer:
















I was really happy to finally get to hang my entertaining shelves, which had been residing under the guest bed since we moved in.





















The wall opposite the windows got a funky mirror that I found at Pier 1. When I went to the store, I asked the salesperson about a mirror I'd seen in the catalog, and I described it as looking kinda like a giraffe. I could tell I totally confused her so we looked it up in the catalog. Then she said, "You're right, it does look like a giraffe."
















I don't have anything on the wall to the right of the mirror yet. I don't want to put something up there just to have something up there so I'm waiting for inspiration to strike.

Or for just the right sale, whichever comes first.

Please forgive my poor photography skills. Here's the best I could do for the curtains since I was taking the picture into the window.
















I found the table on craigslist. It's not perfect, but it's in good enough shape for me.















So there you have it, our mostly finished redone dining room. I still need a rug and a good centerpiece, and I'm on constant lookout for something for the one wall, but I'm really happy with how the room turned out.

2 comments:

Gma said...

Boy, what a dramatic difference in the first dining room to this one. Can't wait to see it firsthand!

McMom said...

CLASSSSSEEEE!!! I know that is spelled incorrectly, but you get my point! It looks great! You didn't like that vase and crystally thingies you had for the centerpiece? You go girl!!