Monday, March 22, 2010

Recipe Recap: Shrimp and veggies

With the weather being so nice, the McHusband and I knew we wanted to grill something for dinner Sunday night. We ended up doing shrimp with a side of mushrooms and onions.

The shrimp recipe is from my Cook's Illustrated books, the set my dad got me probably 10 years ago. These books are awesome. They're compilations of the bimonthly magazines and my set covers 10 years. The writers go through different ways to make things to find what's best and then they share the results - the good, the bad, and the ugly - along with the recipes.

We used the Grilled Shrimp with Spicy Garlic Paste recipe.

Ingredients:
2 lbs large shrimp
1 large clove garlic (I used 1 heaping teaspoon jarred minced garlic.)
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. paprika
2 T. olive oil
2 t. lemon juice (Didn't have lemons or lemon juice so I used a couple squirts of lime juice.)

1. Mince garlic with salt; mix it with cayenne and paprika in small bowl. Add olive oil and lemon juice to form a paste. Toss shrimp with paste until evenly coated. Thread shrimp onto skewers.

2. Heat grill or broiler. Grill or broil shrimp, turning once, 2 to 3 minutes per side.

The McHusband came home with the shrimp, some mushrooms, and a couple of onions so I used Allrecipes, my go-to site for finding a recipe to suit my ingredients, in this case mushrooms and onions, to find a way to cook the veggies.

The site didn't let me down. When I did a recipe search, plugging in onions, mushrooms, and olive oil as my ingredients for a grilled side dish, it returned this recipe, which looked pretty good. I actually tripled the marinade - we had a LOT of mushrooms - but I probably should've just doubled it.













Our meal was delicious! I highly recommend both these recipes. If you're not too sure about the spiciness of the shrimp, I think you could leave the cayenne pepper out and the shrimp would still be plenty flavorful.

3 comments:

McMom said...

Sounds Yummy to me...... LOL.....

Gma said...

I second McMom! Did each of you really eat a whole pound of shrimp?

McHusband said...

Both those recipes were AWESOME! :)

And no, we only ate 1/2 a pound of shrimp each.