Monday, March 8, 2010

Laundry room redo

The Thursday (Feb. 25th) that the McHusband headed to Charlotte, I sent him an email at work asking how he felt about beadboard and crown molding in the laundry room. I tempted him by promising lots of work for his nail gun, and he agreed to go along with my plan. So by the time he got back to the house on Saturday evening, I had the laundry room almost all painted (I ran out of paint) so there was no turning back, and we spent several hours at Home Depot the next day getting the rest of the materials.

I'm really happy with how the room turned out. Of course, it was pretty blah before so anything would've been an improvement.

Some befores:











Please excuse my pile of gym clothes.











And now onto the good stuff. I painted the walls the same color as the kitchen and den. Well, I painted MOST of the walls that color. Then I ran out and took the can to Home Depot to have it matched to one of their paints and, well, it's really, really close, but it's not exact. You can't tell except in the couple of spots where I touched up the leftover paint with the new paint. But you have to look pretty hard for those spots and if I hadn't just admitted it on the world wide web, you'd probably never notice. Now that's all you're going to notice when you come over, isn't it?


































I even spray-painted the mirror so it went from dingy off-white to shiny dark brown.













My mom gave me some DIY laundry room art for Christmas, and I finally got to hang it up.











































One more picture to highlight the McHusband's terrific job with the crown molding. And yes, there was a beer that afternoon.













Just so you know what we're working with with most of these projects. Conditions often aren't ideal. Take the coat-rack wall of the laundry room, for instance. Notice anything strange about it toward the door?

















No, that's not trick (or, in my case, bad) photography. The wall really isn't straight. No wonder the McHusband has to drink.

I love how the beadboard lightens up the space and it's going to be really great in the long run since it's very wipeable. The paint cleaned the walls up so much, and the crown just gives the space a really nice finished touch.

Thank you, McHusband, you did a great job! Ready for the next challenge?

2 comments:

Gma said...

Drumroll please...
and the AWESOME JOB AWARD goes to the resident McCouple of the McMansion! YOUNG HOUSE LOVE - you don't have anything over on these guys!

Ryan, don't you wish the crown moulding in the other rooms were so easy to install?

Steph, sending you pic via email of something that would be awfully darned cute atop the cupboards.

Now that it's such a nice little room, ya suppose doing the laundry is going to be more enjoyable? ;>)

McMom said...

Wishing I HAD a laundry room!!! It looks great! I guess you got the beadboard pre-painted? Do you want any wall words for BD? It really does look great!! Good work you two! McMom