Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Recipe Recap: Jane Fonda's Pancakes

I'm sure no one would be surprised if I attributed my abs or quads to Jane Fonda (although she might be disappointed to have her name connected to them), but probably no one was expecting to have her name attached to such comfort food as pancakes. Sure, we trust her with our bodies, but with our taste buds? Go ahead and hand 'em over because she didn't let me down.

We first had these pancakes when the McMom made them. They're the only thing out of a Jane Fonda cookbook that she makes. Jenny and I both liked the pancakes so much that we each copied the recipe. I think we had them courtesy of Chef McMom back at Thanksgiving, and I finally got around to making my own batch a couple Sundays ago. The McHusband was sick, it was cold, and comfort food was the order of the day. We don't typically do big breakfasts at our house so we had our pancakes for dinner.

I think this was maybe the third time I've ever made pancakes. Does it show?
















Yeah, I think I need a little more practice...
















But guess what? Pancakes don't have to look good to taste good.
















Because of the oatmeal in these, they are very hearty pancakes. I prefer my pancakes to be thicker and these fit the bill.
















Jane Fonda's Pancakes:
1 1/2 c. buttermilk (I used the milk + vinegar option)
1 T. melted butter or oil (I used oil)
1/2 t. vanilla
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. salt
3/4 c. oats
2 egg whites
1 c. flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. nutmeg

Combine buttermilk, oats, butter or oil, egg whites and vanilla and let stand for 10 minutes.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.

Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture and stir well.

Heat pan/griddle to med-high. Spoon batter in scant 1/3 c. portions onto hot pan. Cook about 3 minutes (until surface is covered in tiny bubbles). Flip and cook about 2 more minutes.

One serving is 3 pancakes and equals 368 calories and 6 grams of fat. The recipe says this makes 4 servings, but I think I only got 9 pancakes instead of 12. Guess my "scant" wasn't scant enough.

Next time you're craving pancakes, give these a try. And remember, pancakes aren't just for breakfast.

2 comments:

McMom said...

McMom is SO glad you tried them... I know Ryan liked them and they are FILLING and good for ya!!! As I told Ryan, I like them because they remind me of our pancakes in Barbados when there for our 25th anniversary..........they were made with oat flour and had just that hint of nutmeg in them. Jane's version lets my mind wander to the warm ocean breeze, tropical birds eating crumbs from our table and I am SURE a mimosa was in there someplace!!
I will be the first to say pancakes ARE for dinner!!! Sounds like they may be regular fare at your house.

Gma said...

Forget the pancakes -- I want some of that warm ocean breeze and a mimosa!

They sound good, does it matter which kind of oats you use - regular or quick?

I'm on board - I LOVE breakfast for dinner!