Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Recipe Recap: Raspberry Buttercream Frosting

In honor of Valentine's Day, I tried my hand at another batch of cupcakes. But this time, I had a new toy to play with - a 1mm icing tip. And guess what? It did the trick! No, I'm not going to be participating in any Cupcake Wars in my near (or distant) future, but I could share my cupcakes and not worry about them looking too bad.

I saw a recipe for a Raspberry Buttercream Frosting that I knew I wanted to try. Not so much for the raspberry flavor but for the naturally colored pink frosting.
















I have the same general complaint about these as I did the ones with the peanut butter frosting: the cupcake itself isn't dense enough for me. Guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and make a batter from scratch rather than relying on a box cake mix.





















You can't really tell because the dark cake doesn't play well with the liner, but these were Valentine-themed liners with a message on the bottom.
















Look at that (just not too closely): almost looks like one you'd see in a bakery case, right?
















St. Patrick's Day is right around the corner, and I already have a frosting recipe saved for that holiday. How does mint cookies-n-cream sound?

3 comments:

McMom said...

They look GREAT!!! Can't wait for my sample taste!! YUM>...
I think the tip is larger than 1 mm though.... that would be very tiny.
You might like to try a pound cake recipe for more density... You will get just what you want if you just keep trying... see you Friday!! Don't forget the cupcakes! McMom

McHusband said...

1mm... that would be the tiniest little string of frosting you've ever seen! :) Maybe it was 1 cm?

Stephanie said...

I went back and looked - the tip says 1M. Not sure what the M stands for. I'm sure I could Google it and find out, but I think I'll leave it a mystery.