Monday, May 5, 2014

Brownies and too many bananas

My dad visited this past weekend so I had to have a homemade treat for us to indulge in.  I’m avoiding dairy these days because it doesn’t seem to sit well with a certain baby so I needed to make something that didn’t contain butter.  I found this brownie recipe and liked how simple it was so I threw some pantry staples together and voila!  I had brownies.

They were fine-tasting brownies, but nothing worth yelling about.  The texture was spot on though; they were crackly on top and fudgy inside, just the way I like my brownies.  The important thing was that I could eat them and that’s all that mattered.

I happened to have 5 overripe bananas on my counter so I made muffins Saturday morning.  I had my sous chef by my side for those.

0503140703

I really liked the way these baked up with their domed tops.  And, oh yeah, the flavor was good, too.

My second banana-rific carb was a batch of banana bread waffles on Sunday.  You could definitely taste the banana, but I didn’t love the texture.  I kept the waffles in the iron long enough to crisp up the exterior, but once you removed them from the heat and added syrup, they got chewy.

The McHusband added Cool Whip and syrup to his.  Nothing like dessert for breakfast!

  0504140909

Hopefully I’ll get around to posting some photos from my dad’s visit.  We’ll see how the week is going.  I’m at the end of the weekend an barely feel like doing this post so I don’t have high hopes for posting during the week.

Oh yeah – Happy Cinco de Mayo!  I think I’ll celebrate tonight with a Lime-a-Rita.

No comments: