Monday, April 6, 2015

{Recipe Recap} Brownies with Malted Milk Ball Frosting + Easter weekend

I hope everyone had a good Easter, or at least enjoyed an Easter weekend that was a day longer than the normal weekend.  Like I told you guys last week, we had our family pictures in a park Friday morning, and I hope the photographer got some decent group shots of us.  We’ll find out in a couple weeks…

Saturday night, the McHusband, Connor, and I joined Terry, Vickie, Zachary, and Jennifer at On the Border for Jennifer’s belated birthday dinner.  Well, you know I can’t show up to someone’s birthday dinner without a treat!  Luckily, Jennifer was on board with malted milk so I whipped up a batch of brownies real quick that afternoon.  You may’ve seen my sous chef over there on the right helping me with clean-up duty.

I cheated and used a Duncan Hines boxed mix for my brownies.  They weren’t the star of the show so there was no reason to go all out making them amazing.

DSC_4417

The main attraction was definitely the frosting.  I’m not even sure I’d say that the malt flavor came through super strong; it just worked extremely well with the rest of the flavors and made for a delicious frosting.

DSC_4421

We liked these cold straight from the fridge.  Chilling the brownies let them be fudgy but a little firmer and the frosting was thicker and less gooey.  However, I had several of these at room temp, too, and I wouldn’t turn them down either way!

DSC_4423

In case you’re wondering why my frosting is so colorful, it’s because I used those Robin’s Eggs as my malted milk balls instead of regular Whoppers.

DSC_4425

I am already looking forward to using this frosting again, and I hope it won’t be NEXT Easter before I do.

DSC_4420

Speaking of the holiday, let me show you a little bit of ours.  It was a fairly normal Sunday around here with house stuff, a long walk, and food prep.  And we might’ve had a visit from a certain oversized bunny.  He left behind some useful things like two hats and a swim shirt and didn’t forget Connor’s sweet tooth, leaving him some marshmallows.  A kids’ CD rounded things out.

PART_1428283616482_20150405_101712 

The weather was gorgeous so we took advantage as much as we could.  The McHusband aerated and seeded the backyard and even put down some sod in one area.  I was pushing Connor in his swing and he was mesmerized by the mower.

PART_1428283665415_20150405_142401PART_1428283594703_20150405_143006

You can see on the Instagram video that Connor’s turning into a little pro with his walker.

DSC_4401

And he may be saying his first official word: bah! for ball.  He has some words that have meaning to him, and while he says “mum-mum-mum” and “dah,” I can’t say for sure that he means mom and dad when saying those things.  So yeah, “ball” may be his first word.  I just hope “mom” comes before “Monte!”

Hope the oversized hare was good to everyone!

{Frosting recipe}

No comments: