Monday, January 10, 2011

NYE Cupcakes

Remember I told you that my mom got me some special baking cups for Christmas? And the McMom got me a cake decorating kit so now I can pipe the icing onto my confections instead of schmearing it on.

Apparently, just owning a paintbrush does not a Picasso make.
















I think the end result was a combo of my newbie status and the icing being a little runny and not chilled.

I watched an Oprah where she had these two ladies on from a cupcake shop in the DC area. They had a champagne icing, and I thought it would be perfect for some New Year's Eve cupcakes.





















I just used a Duncan Hines strawberry cake mix (a favorite since Bronwyn and I made a cake together back before we could even drive). Even though I've got lots of piping practice ahead of me, I'd say these little mini cupcakes still turned out really cute.
















Shawn, who is not a drinker, said he could taste the champagne in the frosting. I'm not sure I could and none of the kids who tried the cupcakes said they were yucky because of the alcohol.





















Guess what's next on my list? Chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. I have everything I need at home so I'm hoping we get snowed or iced in tomorrow, and I'll have no choice but to bake. Then again, being stuck at home with all those cupcakes wouldn't lend itself toward me continuing to rock the skinny jeans...

2 comments:

Gma said...

Have to admit, the frosting looks a little sad! Who knows, maybe you have a spot on Cupcake Wars in your future!

McMom said...

MAYBE your Christmas gift should have included a cupcake icing tip! It is just a huge tip that you squeeze the bag and voila..... Check Wally World or Michaels!!! Sorry.. I didn't know what you had in mind to try first!