Friday, May 20, 2011

Recipe Recap: Secret Ingredient Brownie-Cupcakes

Looks like a regular old brownie just in the shape of a cupcake, right?
















Cut this sucker in half, though, and you'll find the secret ingredient...
















It's a Snickers Peanut Butter Bar!

I added this Cookies and Cups blog to my Google Reader recently. I enjoy her writing style in general, and the recipes and photos are, well, the proverbial icing on the cake. I love the story about Creeper Craig that she tells in this recipe's post.

I made these last night after work, the Y, and stopping at Harris Teeter on my way home. So I skipped the from-scratch brownie and used a Duncan Hines Double Fudge boxed mix instead.

Assembly was easy. Spray cupcake tin, mix up brownie batter, fill cupcake tin, push frozen Snickers in.
















The Snickers being frozen is key. Probably has something to do with the baking and making sure the candy bar doesn't totally melt while the brownies are in the oven. But I think it's ACTUALLY so you aren't tempted to eat one for every one you push into the batter.
















I used a spoon to smear batter over the top of the Snickers, then baked these for 17 minutes. I planned to fill the fallen middles with a chocolate-peanut butter ganache, but the PB flavor wasn't strong enough and they didn't need more chocolate so I'm saving the ganache for another treat.
















The McHusband and I shared one of these while it was still warm last night. After we each had some of a cooled one today, we both like them better today.

Mmmm...
















Mixing and matching brownies with candy bars isn't rocket science (thank goodness!), but I'm glad I came across this recipe/idea. And hopefully Vanessa shares this sentiment since I made them in honor of her birthday, which she, Jennifer and I are celebrating tonight with dinner at The Cheesecake Factory.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments: