Friday, May 27, 2011

Recipe Recap: Banana Caramel Cake

I was originally going to make margarita cupcakes to take to Rick and Sabrina's party. Then I changed my mind and wanted to do a peanut butter cookie cupcake stuffed with chocolate ganache and topped with a chocolate frosting, one that I can't get enough of. I even considered doing a peaches and cream cake, something WAY outside my normal preferences.

But we had really ripe bananas begging for work and I came across a new-to-me banana cake recipe that sounded good. Little did I know how disappointed several of the party attendees were going to be when they saw me walking up with a Bundt pan and not a tray of cupcakes. See, I'd made another batch of those brownie-stuffed cupcakes using a peanut butter frosting on half and a chocolate frosting on the other half, and I brought them to Sabrina's birthday dinner the week before the party. Needless to say, they went over VERY well.

Anyway, back to the under-appreciated banana cake. I really liked the spices in this cake and the caramel was an added bonus. I didn't use any nuts and chopped up a dark chocolate Godiva bar, left over from my ganache, to add in. I think the chocolate flavor was a little strong so I'd probably go with milk chocolate next time.

I didn't get any good pictures of the cake so this one from Rick and Sabrina's house will have to do. Check out that thick layer of caramel on the bottom. I feel the same way about the caramel as I do about diet Sprite and alcohol - you really can't go wrong when you add it.
















I have some more bananas on my counter that are destined to either be cut up and frozen for smoothies or smooshed for a baked good. I saw this recipe or one very similar in the most recent issue of one of my magazines. All I need is the pound cake (yes, I actually have dulce de leche in my pantry), which I could make from scratch, but I think I'll let Sara Lee take care of that for me.

Does this make post number FOUR for the week? Man, I better slack off slowly next week, I don't want you guys going through withdrawal. :)

Have a great weekend!

No comments: