Sunday, November 20, 2011

Recipe Recap: Veggie and Quinoa Soup

So you know that the McHusband and I are new fans of quinoa.  We’re not tired of the quinoa and black beans that have become a staple side in our kitchen, but I’ve been looking for new ways to prepare the quinoa. This soup seemed like a great option – not too difficult to throw together, healthy, and it made enough to have some leftovers for lunch.

Look at all those veggies.

IMG_2707

Once they cooked over medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, I added the chicken broth (I couldn’t find vegetable stock at Walmart), tomatoes and quinoa.

IMG_2708

I let the soup do its thing for about 30 minutes then I pureed half of it in the blender and stirred it back into the pot.

I really liked the consistency of this soup.  It had some weight behind it, and I enjoyed that some of the vegetables were still in chunks.

IMG_2709

The flavor was good, but I think it could be better.  A cook more adventurous than I needs to tweak this recipe with some spices and kick it up a notch.

Overall, though, I’d definitely recommend this soup if you’re looking for something hearty and healthy.

IMG_2710

The McHusband and I both agreed that a grilled cheese sandwich alongside the soup would be good, but that’d kinda defeat the purpose of eating a fairly low-calorie (1.5 cups has just about 200 calories) bowl of soup for dinner.  And since we’re coming off of several weeks of bad eating on the weekends and heading into the long Thanksgiving weekend, it seemed best to stick with just the soup for dinner.

{Recipe Here}

1 comment:

McMom said...

Looks like it did turn out YUMMMY! Maybe I will give quinoa another try.... What would a bottle of chili sauce do? .......... McMom