Monday, July 29, 2013

The weekend

I had a normal weekend.  Dinner out with the McHusband Friday after work before spending the rest of the night in the kitchen making Cosmopolitan Cocktail Bars and a strawberry version of that Chocolate Éclair Cake.

Saturday morning, I loaded up those Cosmo Bars and the McHusband and I went to Rebecca’s first birthday party.

DSC_6319

DSC_6340

And since kids were invited, we brought one of ours.

DSC_6346

Several of the kids really liked Monte.

DSC_6325

DSC_6353

That’s Zachary, Terry and Vickie’s little boy, getting right down on Monte’s level.

DSC_6360

After the party and some errands, I headed home to make more chocolate gelato and some Brown Butter Rice Krispie Treats.  We went to Heather and Bruce’s Saturday night for snacks and a game night.

For the record, Shawn loved the gelato as expected, and even requested it for his next birthday, and Heather was a big fan as well.

Sunday was normal for me with laundry, chores, some baking, a 90-minute spin class, and a homemade meal.  I made banana bread using a new recipe and I really liked it – the bread was more pound cake-y than quick bread-y.  I for one thought the texture was great and the flavor hit the spot as well.  I just may’ve found my new go-to banana bread.

And just to round out this post with one last thing I made but didn’t take a picture of, we had Baked Cumin-Cayenne Tilapia for dinner along with some steamed cauliflower and edamame.  Had to redeem ourselves after all the treats the night before.  I doubled the spice mixture for the tilapia and was glad I did – the fish had some kick but in a good way.  We’ll be using this recipe again.

I’ve got more baking to do this week.  Two birthday treats, something for a breakfast meeting, then more treats for the weekend.  And of course all that baking means plenty of time in the gym as well.  Except for Wednesday when we girls are getting together for dinner to celebrate Vickie’s and Sara’s birthdays.

Hope you guys had good weekends!

No comments: