Monday, July 14, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Coconut Lemon Bars

I had planned to make these bars Thursday night so I’d have them to share with everyone on Friday at/after dinner.  But by Thursday last week, I was D-U-N done.  I had no energy left for baking or blogging.  Luckily, I rallied on Sunday and got my mixer out.

Dinner was with Shawn, Vanessa, Heather, Chelle, Jeremy, and their friends George and Amanda.  Chelle and Jeremy are a rare breed in our group – they like coconut – and since we were going back to their house, I wanted to make something that would appeal to our hosts’ palates.

PART_1405299782908_20140713_154742

I left the shredded coconut out of these because some people, like the McHusband, like the flavor of coconut but not the texture.

These bars were very easy to make so they win points for that.  Also, I love lemon curd and am not a stickler for the homemade stuff; Dickinson’s from works great for me.

PART_1405299785526_20140713_154759

I have to say, these bars underwhelmed me a little.  I think the crust and topping was a little too shortbread-y.  It had coconut flavor from the coconut oil and extract, but that was about it.  Maybe it needed a sprinkling of salt?  Or perhaps some lemon zest to enhance the citrus element.  Speaking of, I think I should’ve used the whole jar of lemon curd instead of sticking to the three-fourths of a cup the recipe called for.

PART_1405299725934_20140713_154856

I’ve had better lemon bars so I probably won’t make these again, and I’m disappointed to say that.  I had high hopes.

We had a good weekend.  Dinner and hanging out Friday night; the Y for a class and Walmart on Saturday; house stuff, bar-baking, some errands, then dinner from the crockpot on Sunday.  Oh, and Connor’s learned a new trick.

PART_1405301829030_20140713_160359

Let’s follow his lead and stick our tongues out at Monday.

{Recipe adapted from here}

No comments: