Friday, February 27, 2015

{Recipe Recap} Chocolate Chip Cookies

We started the week with cookies, might as well end with more cookies, right?

DSC_4156

I know there probably aren’t many of you who read this blog who get excited about chocolate chip cookies.  I get it.  I mean, until the past year or so, I would’ve been fine making whatever recipe was on the package of chocolate chip cookies I was using and those cookies would’ve been great.

DSC_4177

But I know better.  Literally, I know of better cookies than you’ll be able to bake by using Nestle’s recipe.  My favorite recipe is still the NY Times recipe, but that dough requires two different flours plus two days of chilling and sometimes I don’t have that kind of time.  Like on Wednesday when I was home because of the snow and I was tasked with making chocolate chip cookies for the office.  One of my coworkers said I could stay home if I used my time wisely and shared the spoils with the office. 

DSC_4176

I was happy to oblige since it meant I was able to avoid being on the roads.  AND there’d be cookies!

DSC_4153

These cookies were supposed to bake up thick and chewy.  Mine didn’t.  But they were still delicious and they had a great texture.  The bottoms were caramelized and the centers were still chewy.

DSC_4162

My coworkers loved these cookies.  One of them knew there was extra salt in the recipe (I sprinkled fine sea salt on top of the dough before baking), and another thought the bittersweet chocolate chips I used were perfect.

DSC_4155

The McHusband wasn’t so fond of those chips, but I was able to make him four cookies without any and he said they were fantastic.

If you look at the original recipe, you’ll see that my cookies don’t look anything like Barbara’s.  I chilled my dough, I double-checked my oven temp…  I don’t know enough about the chemistry of baking to figure out why my cookies weren’t chunkier.

DSC_4161

But you know what?  I didn’t care because they were really freaking good.

DSC_4178

Remember how I said that I was taking these pictures while Connor was keeping busy in the walker?  He wasn’t immune to the power of the sugar.

DSC_4157

I know exactly how he feels.

DSC_4160

We hope we’re saying adios to all the snow this weekend.  I stayed home for a half-day yesterday, but I made it into the office for the afternoon.  Snow days are fine, but one a week is enough.  I’m ready to get back to my normal schedule, my normal eating, my normal exercising.

Bring on spring!

{Recipe adapted from here; I added about half a package of Heath Bits to the dough and sprinkled fine sea salt on the dough before baking}

No comments: