Monday, August 3, 2009

Just for Jeremy

Jeremy gives me a hard time about not cooking much. I like to cook, but our schedules just don't always work out, plus the McHusband LIKES cereal and sandwiches for dinner. So, really, I'm doing him a favor by not cooking.

Well, Jeremy, I cooked a real meal on Sunday. I even cooked more chicken than we'd eat that night so we'd have leftovers. Okay, we only ended up with one extra chicken breast (and not six extra like Chelle and Jeremy usually have), but at least it's something.

I made Sweet 'n' Sour Chicken. I think it'd be more aptly named Sweet and Spicy Chicken because it had a little kick to it. But since I'm the one providing the recipe, I'm gonna go ahead and rename it "Chicken a la McWife."

Here's what you need:


I really think I could cut the sauce in half, or double my chicken, and it'd still turn out just fine. I'm just not sure that the chicken HAD to be swimming in the marinade like mine was.


We had the chicken, some Steamfresh corn, and a sweet potato.


I highly recommend this chicken. The hardest part was counting out six tablespoons three times and making sure I didn't lose count.

Chicken A La McWife:
6 tbsp olive oil
6 tbsp soy sauce
6 tbsp honey
3 tbsp white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp allspice
1 tsp pepper
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine all ingredients but chicken in shallow baking dish and mix well.
  3. Pierce both sides of each chicken breast with a fork. Place in baking dish; using tongs, turn chicken several times.
  4. Bake chicken, basting several times with sauce, for 30 minutes.
I think the sauce could be used as a marinade if you wanted to grill your chicken, but definitely keep some of the sauce separate so you can brush it on the chicken while you're grilling it.

Hmm, what should I make for my next home-cooked meal?

1 comment:

Gma said...

Sounds delish! There's hope for you yet!