Thursday, December 23, 2010

Recipe Recap: White Bean Provencal Soup

After all those goodies I told you guys about, I figured I needed to redeem myself with a fairly healthy option for all you resolution-minded people out there.

I found this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and knew it was something the McHusband and I would like. Even though it's not a crockpot recipe according to its contributor, I decided it would work very well as one. And (pats self on back) I was right.
















You should've smelled the house while I was cooking the pancetta, onions, celery and garlic. The McHusband said it reminded him of pizza, which we've been craving ever since. I think we'll finally get our fix this weekend.

Anyway, I got the soup all assembled and into the crockpot then headed off to my Sunday afternoon spinning session and let my favorite countertop appliance do the hard work. I highly recommend this soup, although you may want to cut the recipe in half if you're not feeding many people. I brought at least a third of it into my office to share (it was a hit there, by the way) and there was still enough for the McHusband and me to have a couple bowls of leftovers. So either reduce the recipe or plan to freeze some because I think you'd get tired of it before you finished it.
















About half an hour before we were ready to eat, I pulled the four chicken breasts out and shredded them then stirred the meat back into the soup and let it cook a bit longer. The chicken was so tender that it hardly took any effort at all to shred it.
















If you're looking for a hearty but not heavy soup for these cold winter months, give this one a try.

No comments: