Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Recipe Recap: Banana Cupcakes with Assorted Frostings

Yes, another food post. I know I really need to finally write about our trip to Charlotte a couple weekends ago, I just haven't had much time to sit in front of the computer at home.

You know, cuz it cuts into my TV time.

I promise, I'll try to catch up this week. In the meantime, here are some cupcakes.

We had bananas that were too ripe to eat (too ripe for us anyway) so I was either going to cut them up and freeze them for smoothies, or else turn them into a baked good. This recipe showed up in my Reader just in time so I figured it was serendipity and who am I to argue with the universe?

I went with mini cupcakes so that I could have more to share. The McHusband's office, while grateful for the treats, also gives me a hard time through the McHusband for making them fat. So I didn't want to burden them with too many sweets. Instead, I took the majority of the cupcakes to my building and shared them with the doctor's office next to us.

The original recipe calls for a peanut butter frosting so I made a half-batch of that. I'd been wanting to try a honey buttercream and these seemed like a good base for that so I made a half-batch of that as well and then further divided it in half and added cinnamon to a portion of it.

Peanut butter in the front, then cinnamon on the left and honey on the right.
















I actually liked the peanut butter frosting-banana cupcake combo more than I thought I would.





















The honey flavor wasn't quite strong enough for me in the honey buttercream, but it was a very pretty frosting and it wasn't overly sweet so I think it's a pretty versatile frosting.
















Bachelor Number 3, the cinnamon-honey buttercream, was my favorite. The cinnamon was definitely there, but it wasn't overpowering, and it was a nice complement to the cupcake.
















So there you have it - one cupcake, three different flavors. Which one do you think you'd like best?
















(A cupcake for anyone who can identify where these pictures were taken. It was 10:00 at night and I had to go to where the light was best. If you've been to our house or driven down our street at night when the garage door is open and the McHusband's out there working, you know how bright it is in there.)

No comments: