Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Recipe Recap: Mississippi Mud Cupcakes

Heather's birthday was last week and we celebrated with a girls' dinner at PF Chang's and I of course jumped on the opportunity to try a new recipe. Heather is chocolate's biggest fan and when I found out she loved marshmallows almost as much, well, this recipe was a no-brainer.

Now, Kristan (that's Kris-TANNE) warned me not to fill my cupcake liners very full. I tried to heed her warning, I really did. But I wasn't very successful. Can you blame me? Chocolate batter, chocolate frosting, and marshmallows - of course more is better!
















Kristan recommended four or five marshmallows per cupcake. You can see I pushed the limits there as well.
















Oh yeah, once I covered everything with more batter, I could see that I wasn't doing very well in the follows-directions-well category. Do those look 1/3 to 1/2 full to you?
















What do I get more my overzealous efforts? Fallen cupcakes.
















But guess what? Fallen, suddenly hollow cupcakes are vessels for more sweets. I stuffed those suckers full of even more mini marshmallows then filled what was left of the hole with frosting. (Sorry, no pictures of that step, but just imagine this hole filled with yumminess.)
















I would say these turned out pretty good. I think I could've done without the frosting-marshmallow combo prior to baking although it did make for an ooey-gooey middle so if that's your thing, then go for it. I didn't love the frosting off the bat, but when I finally ate a cupcake with the frosting on it, I became a fan. It was a simple frosting that came together easily so I think I'll use it again. But I'll probably make 1 1/2 to 2 times the recipe. I don't know if it was the holes I had to fill or what, but I didn't have enough frosting.

I apologize for not having good after pictures, but I did want you to see what these ended up looking like when cut (or bitten) into.
















Heather said it was a little too much frosting and Kim wasn't too keen on the marshmallows. Chelle and I couldn't comment because our mouths were full of cupcake, but I'm pretty we were quite happy with our dessert.

No comments: