Monday, June 20, 2011

Recipe Recap: Turkey Burgers, Cajun Sweet Potatoes, and Cherry Rum Lemonade

Another food post without any pictures. Tsk tsk. But the recipe links have pictures so check those out.

We made Sweet Hawaiian Turkey Burgers with Cajun-style sweet potatoes last night. Wow, what a great meal! The burgers were definitely sweet, and I think next time we make them I'll temper the sweetness with some red pepper flakes or maybe even just add some jalapeno slices to the burger as a topping.

We had some Cajun seasoning in the cupboard so I was lazy and used that with some brown sugar instead of making it from scratch, which I've done once before so I can still say the original recipe is very good as well. I cubed one sweet potato, shook it in a bag with the olive oil and spices, then baked them at 390 degrees (my oven runs hot) for about 30 minutes, stirring after 15 and 30 minutes. Then I baked them for an additional 8 minutes and broiled them for a few to get the outsides a little crusty.

We girls went out Saturday night (not to worry, there are DEFINITELY pictures from that), and I made a cherry rum-spiked lemonade for sipping before we headed downtown. It's similar to my other beer-vodka lemonade so I really didn't doubt that I would like it. Heather, Chelle, and I each drank it and all thought it was very yummy. It's a great summer drink that I think would be good as a slushy drink, too.

I made mini banana cupcakes last night and will frost them tonight. I'm using a peanut butter frosting on half and a honey buttercream on the other half. I will definitely snap a few photos and report back on which frosting works best. I've got my money on the honey buttercream. As much as I like peanut butter in general and peanut butter on bananas specifically, I'm just not too sure about the banana cupcake-pb frosting combo.

No comments: