Monday, September 23, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Pumpkin Cookie Sandwiches

Raise your hand if you love fall.  ::Raising hand::  I really couldn’t say for sure if I prefer fall or spring.  On one hand, spring is so lovely after a cold, dark winter.  I don’t even mind the pollen since the McHusband and I don’t have allergies.  Honestly, it bothers me more to have a yellow car than to have a layer of pollen dust on my flat surfaces in the house.  On the other (raised) hand, fall is such a reprieve from the overbearing heat and humidity of summer in NC.  Plus, fall comes with its own flavors like cinnamon and pumpkin. 

I’ve never been a big fan of pumpkin cookies because I like my cookies chewy rather than cakey, and I’ve never had a non-cakey pumpkin cookie.  So I was thrilled when Sally professed to have solved my dilemma – she got pumpkin into a cookie without making the cookie resemble a muffin top.  I couldn’t wait to try them.  Lucky for me, I had a good reason to whip up a batch.  The McHusband’s cousin celebrated an important birthday last week so I chose to send her some of these cookies.

Unfortunately, I had to send them with a disclaimer: “Hope your birthday’s better than these cookies!”

The texture of the cookies was “off” for me.  True, they weren’t cakey, but they were kinda doughy.  And even though there are plenty of spices in the recipe, once baked, they didn’t shine through so the cookie was bland.  Let’s face it, no one really likes pumpkin by itself, it’s the spices that matter.  But I was out of time as I needed to get these into the mail on Monday and wasn’t able to remake something.  So I also told Christa I owed her some samples from my next great batch of cookies.  I think I’ll go the tried-and-true route for the IOU package.

Anyway, all this rambling is to tell you why I turned cookies into cookie sandwiches.  I’d doubled the recipe because I also had an HOA meeting so I figured two birds, one stone, you know?  I made a cinnamon cream cheese frosting and used it to glue two cookies together and guess what?  The end result wasn’t half bad.

DSC_7165

I’m not big on pumpkin and chocolate together so I used a chopped up white chocolate bar in the dough.

DSC_7170

I made sure to pile the frosting on thick.  First of all, the cookies needed it.  Second, if some frosting’s good, a lot is better.

DSC_7164

These went over well at the HOA meeting, and the McHusband’s coworkers gobbled up the rest without complaint.

DSC_7169

Final verdict?  I can’t recommend the cookie recipe.  But I can recommend adding frosting to cookies.

DSC_7166

{Cookie recipe adapted from here}

P.S.  Happy Anniversary to Chelle and Jeremy today!  Eight years and counting of wedded bliss.  Right, guys? Smile

No comments: