Wednesday, August 27, 2014

{Recipe Recap} Sweet Potato with Spinach and Peas

So this is a bit of a different food post for you guys.  Guess what?  I made baby food!  I’m pretty happy about it, too.  Breastfeeding was a challenge mostly because of supply issues, and I worked so hard to feed Connor as much and as long as I could.  So I’m thrilled that I can fairly easily whip up some healthy purees for him.  No worries about supply now!

The first thing I tried was a combo puree of sweet potato, spinach, and peas.  There was supposed to be some leek in it, but I didn’t have that.

PART_1409103042971_20140826_201445

I have two baby food-trays so I filled them up and stuck them in the freezer then I pull out a portion as I need it.

So, what did Connor think about his mom’s food?  He really liked it!  Heather and Bronte were over when I was making this, and we all taste-tested it and while it was fairly bland, none of us had any complaints.

PART_1409103040381_20140826_201436

This recipe came from Top 100 Baby Purees by Annabel Karmel.  It was 12 oz of sweet potato, half a cup of peas, and 3/4 cup of fresh baby spinach.  I sauteed the sweet potato in a tablespoon of butter, added some water and let that boil for about 10 minutes, then threw in the peas and spinach.  I pureed everything with extra water as needed and voila – baby food!

We have some great little containers that are working perfectly for the portion size that Connor needs right now.

PART_1409103018631_20140826_201637

I’m excited to try something else, but I know Connor’s supposed to eat the same thing for a while and I’d rather use this stuff when it’s fairly fresh and not in danger of being freezer burnt.  So he’ll eat this for the week and I’ll make up a batch of something new this weekend.  Potato, carrot, and corn puree, anyone?

{Sorry for the terrible phone pics.  I’ll try to do better with future foods.}

Hope everyone’s had a good week so far!

1 comment:

Erika said...

I wish I had made Ethan's food. You did an awesome job! I think if it had made his food, he might have been less picky & I could have snuck in some extra good stuff! I love how happy Connor is in all these pictures! What a cutie...hope the amber necklace helps! We still use it for molars!