Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Crispy Wickets

No, that's not some new food we Southerners created for the State Fair. That's the name of the game we played at Byron and Lisa's on Saturday. It's a very simple game involving four people, four sticks, four cups, one Frisbee, and (preferably) lots of drinking.

Here's a look at the playing field.


Do you see what looks like two blue cups floating by Lisa's head? Those are plastic cups hanging on the end of bamboo sticks, which are about two feet apart. Across the yard, you can see the McHusband and me behind our own bamboo sticks, or wickets, and in the middle you can see the frisbee.

The object of the game is to get the frisbee through the middle of the opposite sticks (like a touchdown) or else hit a stick and make the cup pop off. You get 3 points for a touchdown and 1 point for knocking a cup off - if the opposing team doesn't catch either the frisbee or the cup before it hits the ground. If they catch it, no points are awarded. First team to 11 wins.

Oh, I almost forgot: it's a one-handed game. You hold your drink in one hand (and in my case spill half of it over your left arm and side) the entire game. I think that's where "crispy" comes from - it's a game best played fried.

Here's Byron sending the frisbee our way as well as a good look at the wickets.


Look at that stance!


And it's the McHusband's turn to send the frisbee back and hopefully get us some points.


I have to admit, I wasn't feeling the game when it was first explained to me, but it really was a lot of fun. And scoring the first point of the game helped with my interest, too. I think the McHusband and I are going to have to set up our very own Crispy Wickets playing field in the backyard.

Anyone ever heard of this game? I hear there's a whole Facebook page devoted to it.

2 comments:

McMom said...

It's the simple things in life that can make it so darned enjoyable.........looks like fun! McMom

Gma said...

Can't wait to play at Lyla's BD party!