Friday, May 29, 2009

Definitely NOT Betty Crocker

I can cook okay. I don't cook a lot, but when I do, my meals usually turn out like they're supposed to.

Baking, though, is another story. I just don't have a feel for when food should be done. (Oh, and I'm pretty much just referring to desserts.)

Or the McMom sabotaged her daughter-in-law's attempts by giving me a bundt pan that not even Betty Crocker could use. Jenny and I threw that theory around for a bit and decided that probably wasn't the case.

Probably.

Anyway, I tried to make The Pioneer Woman's Monkey Bread on Sunday and, well, it didn't go so well.

Here's what I was trying to make:


Looks scrumptious, right?

Here's what I ended up with:


Not so scrumptious-looking.

It started out in the bundt pan, but it wasn't baking all the way through by the end of the baking time so we spread it out in a baking pan and kept putting it back in the oven for 5 minutes at a time.

Here I am checking it after it's been baking for probably twice as long as it should (and I think I stuck it back in for at LEAST another 5 minutes).

(Note the cake plate so optimistically waiting on the counter. Yeah, that went right back on the shelf. Sigh.)

We finally just ate what had cooked enough and threw the rest out because I couldn't face another round of five-minutes-at-a-time baking to get the rest of it fully done.

Mom, you mentioned wanting this for breakfast next Mother's Day. How 'bout we eat some Eggo Waffles and never speak of the Monkey Bread incident ever again?

4 comments:

Gma said...

LOL...
ROFL...
OMG...
My tummy hurts and I've mascara running down my cheeks from laughing so hard.

I'll be happy to dine on a fruit rollup, left over pizza, one of Tucker's bones or your green peanut butter fudge in order to avoid your frustration (shoot, I can feel it in your font!).

It does beg the question though - does anyone see a common thread here? Steph, Jenny, oven, biscuits, McMom (sorry McMom. Know you weren't even there but you did provide the bundt pan!).

I think you should advise Pioneer Woman of the "challenges" you endured in making her "oh so easy and delish recipe" (be sure to send her pic)- maybe you and Jenny can wrangle an invite to the ranch for a personal baking lesson. BTW, be sure to tell her you will need a chaperone (that would be me!)

McMom said...

I too am ROFL and LOL..... as I read to McDad what you relate!!! I WILL admit to similar experiences with the Monkey Bread... sort of like cooking beef tenderloin at Christmas!! Krispy Kream (sp) You would think I could spell that.... might have been a goood substitute!!! SO soryy it didn't work out, but I heard nothing of the incident from Jenny!!! McMom

McMom said...

Now that I have looked at the recipe.... mine is different! BUT I agree with the Pioneer Woman.... eat the dough covered in the sugar mixture!!! YUMMM!!!

I MAY have to give this a try!!! McMom

McMom said...

Thanks for the collective repreive on the Bundt pan jinx!!!! McMOM