Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Cary Road Race

Well, I've been quite the blog slacker, haven't I? And it's not for lack of material. I went to the zoo on Friday, at at a new restaurant that night, ran a 5k on Saturday, and tried a new recipe on Sunday. I know, exciting times in the McLife.

Well, I'm gonna go a little out of order and start with the 5k (3.1 miles) just because that'll be quick. I don't have much time, you see. Our DVR is tied up recording two things right now so I have to be ready to turn Glee on in our room at 9:28 so I can watch it live. No, I'm not some weirdo who needs to make sure the channel's set a couple minutes before so I don't miss anything. Fox is the weirdo tonight, with American Idol going to 9:27:59 and Glee starting right afterward.

Anyway, before I rush off to watch TV the old-fashioned way, I wanted to tell you guys about the 5k that Chelle and I, along with two other ladies, ran on Saturday. We did the Cary Road Race, which I'd done one other time with Sara. That was actually my very first 5k.

I had a breakfast of champions: one slice of cold Hawaiian pizza. Yum.





















The weather was perfect. Cool but not frigid and the sun was shining. I ended up taking off my long-sleeved shirt and leaving it in the car and rolling up my t-shirt sleeves so I was essentially sleeveless during the run.

The course starts out with a long fairly steep hill. The good news is that what goes up must come down. It's nice to get that out of the way at the very start. The rest of the course was pretty flat and it was very pretty, winding around a little pond before heading back up into the amphitheater.

I finished the 5k in 28 minutes flat. I was hoping for 27- something, but I'll take 28. Not wanting to get a side cramp and have to walk, I paced myself and maybe I did too good a job at it. I'd like to do the event again next year, but maybe I'll sign up for the 10k. Then I'd have to do that hill twice.

That might require TWO pieces of pizza.

1 comment:

McMom said...

Too bad they didn't have a bigger turnout --- only 4 people?
Had you going there for a minute! Anxious to see what you do with the reporting on the rest of your 3 day weekend! McMom