Sunday, April 25, 2010

Wicked

The McHusband was way ahead of the game when it came to my birthday this year. Unfortunately things didn't exactly work out the way he hoped back when he was making his plans.

I think it was back in the fall and the radio stations were playing Wicked ads left and right. My sister had been to the show in NYC and raved about it and I'd always heard good things in general so I decided I just HAD to go. I was going to go with the girls and I was all set to buy tickets for us as soon as they were available. I called the DPAC, the venue hosting the show, to ask about seating and the guy told me that if I were their Facebook friend, I could get a code to buy tickets early.

Well, since I'm no one's Facebook friend, I had to figure out another way. I emailed the McHusband and asked him if he'd gotten a code "because there's this show, Wicked, that we girls are gonna go see and I need to buy tickets."

He didn't reply. But he called and he was pretty upset that I'd managed to ruin his great idea for my birthday. I told him to look at it this way: He'd get credit for such a fabulous gift idea for many months leading up to the show. Yeah, I don't think that really helped.

So our Wicked night finally arrived this past Friday. We got down there early and went to dinner at Tyler's Taproom, which serves my Woodchuck Cider from one of its many taps. The weather cooperated so we got to sit outside, and the restaurant's very close to the DPAC so we just walked over when we were done eating.

This "stream" was neat. As you can see, the McHusband really liked it.


This is looking back where we'd just walked from.


We had balcony seats so we did have a great overall view of the stage, but I think I'm spoiled by my big TV screen and prime spot on the couch because I did miss being able to see people's facial expressions.


Here we are, excited for the show to start.


So, what did I think of the show?

I liked it; I didn't love it.
I'm glad I saw it; I wouldn't see it again.

It was entertaining enough, but maybe I'd hyped it up so much in my head that the real thing couldn't compete. Or maybe live musicals just aren't for me.

But what I did love was my date night with my hubby. I very much appreciate his thoughtfulness and the effort he put forth to plan so far in advance, and I hate that I ruined his surprise. Thank you, McHusband!

Before I go, I need to share one last picture. I missed this guy on the walk over, but I knew I couldn't NOT take a picture when I spotted him on our way back. We passed some offices and he was sitting on the inside of the windowsill by someone's desk. Cute, isn't he?


So that's part one of my birthday weekend. The McHusband had a few more surprises up his sleeve...

1 comment:

Gma said...

Good food. Good company. Good show. Sounds like it was a great way to celebrate turning 31.

Way to go McHusband!