Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Primetime pedaling

I came across this story on our local news website:

Sheriff Arpaio makes inmates pedal to watch TV
PHOENIX — Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio has started a program he calls "Pedal Vision," in which inmates pedal stationary bikes to generate electricity for television sets. The bikes are customized to turn on connected TV sets once inmates at Phoenix's Tent City Jail pedal enough to generate 12 volts of electricity. An hour of pedaling equals an hour of television.

Arpaio said inmates only will be able to watch television if they choose to pedal.
He said he started the program with female inmates because they seemed more receptive.

Arpaio said the only exercise female inmates have been getting is speed-walking around the tent yard.

He said Pedal Vision gives them a reason to get moving and a way to burn calories.
You can read up on Sheriff Joe here. He has some, um, innovative ways of dealing with his prisoners.
Personally, I say, "Go Joe!" But don't come to my house. Then again, I could give up my Y membership if I had to power the TV and as much as I watch, I'd hardly have to worry about calories in vs. calories out - they'd all be going out!
Boot camp starts tonight. We're going to be in the park by our old house so I'll be doing what I did last fall and jogging for 20 to 30 minutes before the one-hour boot camp session on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Hopefully I'll be in Bermuda-short shape by the end of the month.

No comments: