Monday, June 14, 2010

Vickie's baby shower

Chelle and I hosted Vickie's baby shower yesterday. I don't want to speak for Chelle, but I had a lot of fun planning the shower and getting things ready, even if it was a lot of work. I'm no Martha Stewart or Hostess with the Mostess, but I think I do okay in the party-planning department. I could hold my own against the Average Jane.

It always helps to work with a good team. Tori helped me with one of the games, and she also kept an eye on all the party supplies that needed to get loaded into the car.



Chelle managed to count all the M&M's without Tori's assistance.

The M&M's went into an oversized bottle prop and then the shower guests had to guess how many M&M's were in there. If you can imagine, we got 533 peanut butter and peanut M&M's in the bottle.


Our decorating theme was sorta vague, but I guess it could be summed up as colorful and dotted.

I got the banner from an Etsy seller. It's kinda hard to read, but it says "It's a boy!"


Vickie had a diaper cake from her shower in PA, and she said I could use it for this shower, which worked out really well for me. This was my first time "baking" a diaper cake, and I think it was a success.



I got the paper lanterns from Hobby Lobby and they definitely added the decorating punch that we needed. We hung four on either side of Vickie's hutch and then four more over the kitchen table where we collected the gifts.


My sister lent me some wooden blocks so we spelled out "Oh boy" on either side of a jar of gumdrops.

Our menu consisted of pinwheels (thanks to the Walmart deli), spinach dip, a delicious cheeseball and crackers, brownies, cupcakes, these yummy Carmelitas that I need to do a post about, and fruit skewers. How good do they look?



Early on in the planning process, I saw cupcake rattles online and thought, "Hey, we could do that!" Chelle was game so gave it our best shot. Guess what? Rattles are harder to design than you think. Just take my word for it.


In addition to the M&M game, we played Guess How Big Vickie's Belly Is and Name That CelebuTot!

After everyone cut their ribbon to the size they thought Vickie was, Chelle got the true measurement then compared it to the guesses.


Leigh and Vickie's mom were practically tied (with each other and the actual measurement), but Leigh's guess was just a smidge closer.



For the CelebuTot game, I cut out pictueres of celebrities' babies and then the guests had to name them. Jennifer won this game. Out of 22 kids, she got 17 right.



For a party favor, we did sparklers in honor of one of Vickie's favorite holidays as well as her baby boy's July due date.




I can't forget to include this picture of Chelle, Vickie, and me. And please ignore my bra that appears to be having a red-carpet moment.


I have to give a shout-out to the McHusband because he actually played a pretty integral role on Sunday. We weren't in Vickie's house for 10 minutes when I realized I'd forgotten my dress. Sure, I could've worn the capris and sweaty tank top that I wore over there for the shower, but it really would've sucked. So my wonderful McHusband drove out to where Vickie and her family were killing time (since we kicked them out of the house) and brought her my dress. Thank you, McHusband! As always, I don't know what I'd do without you.

4 comments:

Vickie said...

The shower was perfect, beautiful and fun - I can't thank you guys enough! It's so nice having such wonderful and thoughtful friends!

Gma said...

Go Team McHAMMONS!

I want to know how many M&M's didn't make it into the bottle? I would have had to buy an extra bag to munch on during the counting process!

Best wishes, Vickie and Terry!

McMom said...

Everything looked great and like a lot of fun!! when you metnioned those "rattles" I thought they sounded like they could be tedious.... Vickie looks like she must be miserable!!! Know they will be soooo happy when he gets here!! McMom

Jenny said...

Awesome job ladies!!! I love the dots :)!