Thursday, July 7, 2011

Fourth of July Weekend

I don't know about you guys, but I felt like we celebrated July 4th for three days straight. We had a cookout at our house Saturday, the McInlaws came up on Sunday plus we saw a movie and checked out a new DIY fro-yo place (Sweet Spoons in Apex - my new favorite), then Monday was Zachary's first birthday party. Whew! It was almost a relief to get back to the grind and eating Lean Cuisines.

We did hot dogs and chicken sausages, a corn-avocado salsa, a Greek pasta salad, and two desserts: cake balls and S'Mores Pie. The attendees contributed the rest: hummus, baked beans, chips, and mini Oreo cheesecakes.

--Salsa {I didn't use the olive oil or Italian seasoning, just red wine vinegar and juice from one lime. Also, I used a can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos.}
--Greek pasta salad {My only veggies were red pepper, onion, and cucumber. Also, I served the olives and feta separately because not everyone likes those two things.}
--S'Mores Pie
--Cake Balls - Bake a 9 x 13 cake (I used white), let it cool completely. Crumble it in a bowl then add a can of frosting (I used chocolate buttercream) and mush it all together. Freeze this for 15 to 30 minutes, then roll the dough into balls. Freeze the balls for at least an hour (or overnight). Dip them in liquified candy melts to coat and allow them to set up before storing.
































I used my bandana banners - bandanners? - and vases from last year to decorate. The McHusband actually picked the flowers up when he was in Harris Teeter earlier in the week. Good call, McH!





















I got a red bowl to go with the blue and white York Peppermint pieces, which are fabulous by the way.
















I had the starry cupcake liners last year but forgot to use them. So I figured out a way to get them in on the Fourth of July action this year.





































So who came to our cookout?
















Mike and Kristina, who are just days away from getting married.
















Shawn and Vanessa.
















Eric. And look, I made it into a picture, evidence that I actually WAS at one of my parties.
















Chelle and Jeremy came a little later, too, and Tucker hung out at the McHusband's feet.





















The McHusband took people's plates inside and came back out with a plate of cake balls. He's just full of great ideas lately.
















Hope everyone else had a wonderful Independence Day weekend!

No comments: