Friday, December 20, 2013

{Recipe Recap} Oreo Cake Bars

Like I said yesterday, we went to Statesville this past Sunday to celebrate my mom’s birthday.  Just like with the sombrero, I think the kids were more excited to see what her gifts were than she was.

DSC_8706

DSC_8708

Okay, maybe I spoke too soon.

DSC_8709

(It’s a new printer, in case you’re wondering what has everyone so worked up.)

DSC_8710

And just cuz she hasn’t made an appearance in this post, I’ll include this cute picture of Maxie cheesin’.

DSC_8715

I made those delicious Brown Butter Brownies for my mom for her birthday, but I knew the kids and the McHusband wouldn’t exactly be thrilled with dense, dark chocolate treats.  So I made some other bars that I knew would appeal to them.

DSC_8726

These had a chocolate cake base, followed by a gooey cream cheese layer, then finally a Cool Whip-cream cheese-Oreo topping. 

DSC_8728

So, basically, the layers went like this: good, better, best.

DSC_8726

I used DoubleStuf Oreos and I liked that the cookie outsides didn’t always stay with the inside filling.  You can see how the chopped-up filling is part of the topping.

DSC_8731

These things were fan-freaking-tastic.  The night we got home from Statesville, we had an invitation from one of the McHusband’s coworkers for a potluck get-together.  The McHusband immediately requested another batch of these even though we still had a few left to munch on.

DSC_8732

Unfortunately the potluck got canceled because of the germs running rampant in the McHusband’s office so he’ll just have to wait a little bit longer before these bars make another appearance.

TGIF!  Today’s my last full day of work before the Christmas holiday.  My office will be open until about 12:30 on Monday then we’re shutting down for a company lunch and everyone will go on their merry (hah!) way from there.  I’m very much looking forward to having some time off, not only for the break from the general everyday but also because we can hopefully make some headway on the baby’s room.  Granted, there is a bed in there already, but I don’t think a squishy twin bed is probably the best option for a newborn…

Have a great weekend!

{Recipe adapted from here}

No comments: