Monday, May 10, 2010

Boot camp

Matt and Andrea are the boot camp instructors, and last week they asked each of us to write up a little something for them to use in advertising material. I had the camera with me that day so you guys can finally see the aftermath of our hour at the park, and I can write about boot camp. Two birds, one stone.

My shirt is actually a lighter color, but it's saturated with sweat so you can't even see a speck of the original hue.


And here's my ponytail, literally dripping with sweat.


Some of you already know this - the McHusband joined me for this four-week session of boot camp. He's doing pretty good so far. He knocks out the push-ups and dips, but he struggles a bit with the sprinting and some other cardio moves. His favorite part is the end.


Okay, back to boot camp. It's hard, fun, challenging, good for me, awful, and awesome all at the same time. It's painful, but not in a bad way. {Does that make sense? My fellow attendees will understand.} I love that we always do something different. That doesn't mean we do all-new exercises each time, just that the routine isn't the same and that makes it fun.

My heart, my lungs, my muscles, my drive are challenged every minute of boot camp, whether we're running sprints or doing squats or struggling through walking lunges uphill. Matt and Andrea expect us to put forth our best effort, but they don't expect us to be perfect. They help us get better: pushing us where we need it, modifying moves if necessary, and asking us to put the burden upon ourselves to get the most out of our bodies and our workout.

They lead. It's up to us to follow.

Boot camp has done wonders for me. I'm a gym rat. Give me a treadmill, a bike, and an elliptical machine and I'm good. But not great. And that's the opportunity that boot camp provides for me. My whole body, my mind included, works during boot camp. I may have very tired and sore muscles afterward, but I feel fantastic. I know I'm doing something great for myself, and Matt and Andrea genuinely care that we are getting the most out of our workouts. We all really appreciate their time and their willingness to work with us. I for one definitely do not feel like just another pair of Spandex shorts in the back of an aerobics class. Each of us matters to Matt and Andrea.

And now I'll let another picture so some talking for me. Here's our group at the end of the session this past Thursday.


We're all hot and tired and sweaty (some of us more than others), but we're all smiling. Except Matt there on the end. I think he's actually sad to see us done with those uphill lunges.

Until next week anyway.

No comments: