Monday, May 31, 2010

Flower Power

Since we traveled to see the moms (and Pioneer Woman) for Mother's Day this year, my mom didn't come up for the weekend to toil away in the yard only to be paid in wine spritzers and pizza so I was on my own for flowers this year. Luckily, my favorite go-to flower, vinca, is sprouting up like mad in all the places that we planted it last year, and that meant I really only had to worry about my planters - two hanging ones on the porch railing and two urns at the bottom of the steps.


I planted petunias, asparagus fern, dracaena (the spiky thing in back), and that trailing flower with the little white flowers in each urn. All of them love the sun so hopefully this spot will be just right for them.




In the hanging planters, I used more asparagus fern and the trailing white flower, plus a yellow flower, and that gorgeous purply-blue flower is lobelia. I think it's more of a shade-lover so we'll see how it does. The railings get morning sun but they're in the shade for the hottest part of the day so my fingers are crossed.


(Gotta love the camera's macro function.)


I have two little white tables and four rocking chairs on the front porch so I wanted to dress the tables up a bit with some color. I chose bright pink impatiens, which also like the shade. The tables get even less sun than the railings so I think I'm okay there.


I'd seen some zinnias at Walmart and when I saw them again at Home Depot, I just had to have them. They're annuals so if I love them and they do well in their new home, I'll have to buy them again next year.


These bunches each have a white, light pink, dark pink, and beautiful burnt orange flower in them.




We need to add some fresh mulch to all the beds in the front, but already the yard is shaping up nicely for the summer.

No comments: