Friday, September 17, 2010

No turning back

It's official: I'm running the Rex Healthcare Half Marathon on Sunday, November 7th. I signed up yesterday (To the tune of $85 - that's an expensive t-shirt!) so there's no turning back now unless I get injured. I've been training since late June thanks to my friend Heather who ran a half marathon in VA a couple weeks ago.

I ran 11 miles last Sunday, and I'll do 12 miles tomorrow. Since I have a while until the actual race, my assumption is that I'll do at least 13 miles in the next week or so and we'll see if I stop there or if I go to 15. Heather's neighborhood has a good five-mile loop that I might attempt to do three times. I figure if I can do that, then the actual half marathon won't be too daunting.
Want to know what I'm most concerned about? Daylight Savings. Yep, the time changes Saturday night/Sunday morning the weekend of the race. I get paranoid enough and can't sleep when I have to set my alarm to be up for something important but add to that the fact that I'll be worried that my clock isn't saying the right time? Oh man, I'm going to be a zombie.
The race starts at 7:00, which means getting out there by 6:30 so I'll have to leave my house no later than 6:00. In the morning! On a Sunday!
No, I'm not a morning person, why do you ask?
I run about a 9:20 pace so I'm hopeful that I can kick things into high gear at a couple of points and finish in under two hours, even if I just barely make it. So if anyone's looking for something to do around 9:00 in the morning that day, feel free to come on out and cheer me on as I cross the finish line.
Then we can go get breakfast together. You know, at a REASONABLE time of 9:30 or so.
{I apologize if there aren't any spaces between my paragraphs; Blogger's being annoying.}

2 comments:

McHusband said...

I'm more blown away that she signed up for it by the fact that it starts so early, not that she will be running 13 miles! :)

Gma said...

LOL -- my thoughts exactly! Course, I can't for the world of me understand why one would pay to inflict pain! Go, Steph, Go!!!