Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Recipe Recap: Chelle's Breakfast Casserole

Maybe I need to give credit where credit's due and call this Chelle's Sister-in-Law's Breakfast Casserole because if memory serves me right, that's where Chelle got the recipe.

I made this on Sunday when my dad was here and all three of us really liked it. Not only did it taste great, but it was easy to throw together, which is key for me since I'm not usually at at the top of my game first thing in the morning. And by "first," I mean 9:30.

Chelle's Breakfast Casserole
  • 1 lb. breakfast sausage
  • 1/2 to 1 green pepper, chopped (I went with 1)
  • 1/2 to 1 onion, chopped (again, I went with 1)
  • 6 to 8 eggs, beaten (I used 7)
  • 1 container refrigerated crescent rolls
  • 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar (or whatever cheese floats your boat)
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan or casserole dish.
  • While oven is preheating, brown the sausage and sweat the veggies.
  • When the oven's ready, spread the crescent rolls in the bottom of your pan, pressing them down slightly and together so they form a solid crust. Bake for 5 minutes.
  • When the crust comes out of the oven and your meat-veggie mixture is ready, spread the latter evenly over the former. Oh, and don't forget to drain that mixture first. I forgot. It didn't really matter except who needs to eat all that grease?
  • Pour your beaten eggs over the meat, just to cover.
  • Sprinkle your cheese across the top.
  • Bake the casserole for 20 to 25 minutes, just until it's slightly browned on top and not "jiggly" (That's a technical cooking term, right?).
The McHusband and I eat ours with a little Texas Pete hot sauce or some of that Sriracha hot chile sauce. Yum!


And here you can see all the parts.


I sent the leftovers into the office with the McHusband. This was Matt's version of a thank-you card.


I've got another breakfast recipe coming soon and it was a HUGE success. The Pioneer Woman redeemed herself with this recipe since her Monkey Bread never worked out for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, it is the "breakfast pizza" that Jeremy and Casie's parents made when they were growing up, glad you enjoyed it!
-Chelle