Monday, November 22, 2010

Recipe Recap: Sweet & Sticky Orange Chicken

Our dinner had an Asian spin Sunday night. I'd seen a recipe on Kraft.com that I knew we would like and it didn't let me down. The recipe called for Kraft's Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing, which is just delicious, and something that I already had in my fridge. I was supposed to use an actual orange and its zest, but I went with canned mandarin oranges (Sara's suggestion) and even added some pineapple chunks.
















The sauce was that dressing, sugar, soy sauce, and some red pepper flakes. I actually added an additional half teaspoon of the red pepper flakes, and I'm glad I did because it was spicy, but I think we could've even taken a little more heat.
















Other than the fruit and the sauce, all I needed was chicken, red pepper, and garlic (and an Amaretto Sour to sip while I cooked).
















During the last couple minutes of everything cooking, I heated up some 90-second brown rice and then added that to the skillet so it could mingle with the sauce.
















You gotta love that classic sweet (pineapple) and spicy (red pepper flakes) combination.
















When I filled our plates, I made sure to leave enough in the skillet for one of us to have leftovers. But we couldn't resist splitting what was left and finishing it off. This recipe gets four thumbs up!

{Recipe here}

3 comments:

McMom said...

YUUUUMM --- bring some with you Wed!!! McMOM Oh yeh, you ate it ALLL!!

G'ma said...

I've made this (or similar) recipe and yup, it's sooooooooo good! LOTS better than the chicken tortellini I made!

Sara said...

So the oranges were good as part of "real" food? I would have been skeptical, but since you give it the thumbs up I'll try it.