Thursday, November 11, 2010

Recipe Recap: Vermont Maple Pecan Cookies

My version should be called Vermont Maple Oatmeal Cookies because they hardly had any pecans in them and they were more of an oatmeal cookie anyway.

I saw this recipe in that Relish insert that comes in the newspaper and I'm so glad I decided to save it. These cookies were fabulous. They weren't so sweet that one bite would give you a cavity, but they weren't all healthy-tasting like some oatmeal cookies can be either. I think they were a perfect balance between the two ends of the spectrum.

Ingredients:
3 c. old-fashioned oats
1 c. shredded unsweetened coconut
2 2/3 c. flour
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
2 c. packed light brown sugar
1 c. unsalted butter
1/2 c. maple syrup
2 T. light corn syrup
2 t. baking soda
1/4 c. boiling water
1 t. maple or vanilla extract {I used vanilla}
2 c. chopped toasted pecans {I used maybe 1/4 c. non-toasted pecans}

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300F and position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine oats, coconut, flour, salt, cinnamon and brown sugar in a large bowl; whisk to blend.
3. Combine butter, maple syrup and corn syrup in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat until butter melts, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Combine baking soda and boiling water, stirring to dissolve. Add to maple syrup mixture, stirring well. Add maple (or vanilla) extract. Stir into dry ingredients. Add pecans; stir well.
5. Place 1/4-cup sized balls of dough on baking sheets, 3 inches apart. Flatten slightly.
6. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown and set, rotating positions halfway through the baking process. Cool on baking sheets 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.

Look, I think this cookie got all of two pecan pieces in it.
















Ready for the oven. I like that this recipe calls for baking two cookie sheets' worth of cookies at one time.
















Voila! Cookies patties have become actual cookies.





















And just because I somehow got really lucky and took several good pictures of my cookie stack, here's another one for you. Apparently, late afternoon light in my dining room is great for taking pictures.





















We ladies in the 'hood are having a cookie exchange next month, and I think I'll make these to share. Mmm, I'm already looking forward to that batch...

1 comment:

Dale Hein said...

I saw this in the Relish insert,too, and baked them but mine baked very flat. They don't like like Relish's or your picture. Delicious, but flat. Do you have any idea why? I did exactly what the recipe said except, like you, made them smaller.
Thanks. Dale