Sunday, November 21, 2010

Turkey Trot Twenty-Ten

The McHusband ran his first official 5k on Saturday. We did the Turkey Trot in Apex, which I ran last year with Chelle, Sara, Jari, and Vickie.

Ready to run!
















Jari signed up to run it this year but changed her mind a few days before, which turned out to be a good thing. See, Heather wanted to run it but registration was closed by the time she tried to get in. So Heather took Jari's place in the race.

Me, Heather, and Sara.













The Turkey arrived in style. He had an entourage of bikers (the Harley kind, not the Lance Armstrong kind). His bike left a little to be desired though.













So how'd we do? I finished in 26:06, which made me 95th overall (among the 298 runners with chips) and 8th in my age group. The McHusband finished just over a minute after me in 27:08. He was 117th overall and 11th in his age group. Heather was shooting for 31:30 and she finished in 30:24 so she was very happy with her time, as she should be.

Sara's husband Cliff also ran the Turkey Trot for the first time. Chick Fil A was one of the sponsors and they were giving out free sandwiches afterward. The cows were milling around and I'm sure they popped up in more than just this picture.













Sara's friend Ashlee placed in her age group. She finished in 23:20, which made her 43rd overall and 2nd in her age group.













I didn't do any exercise other than lift weights one night and the usual walking the dogs last week. I wanted to give my leg the rest it needed for a proper recovery. The good news is that it didn't bother me during the 5k. The bad news is that it was pretty sore throughout the rest of the day and even a little bit today. I will continue to go easy on the exercise and keep up with my stretching and icing. I also got a foam roller, which was recommended to me by the guy at the shoe store as well as by Ashlee, who was all too familiar with ITB Syndrome. So keep your fingers crossed for me that I can be back out pounding the pavement sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

McMom said...

Anyone else notice what an interesting effect that cracked mirror adds to a photo - as it reflects on the wall behind you? Oh yeh, congrats on the trot too!! Ryan did great and I know, but for your pain or would have done better!! LOL McMom