Saturday, November 20, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend: The Stew!

We look forward to Chelle and Jeremy's annual Chicken Stew all year long; 2010 didn't disappoint.

Last year, Charlee and Jude were the only kids in attendance. This year, they were joined by Chase and Leah, Charlee's little brother Leighton, and Zachary. Speaking of, here he is.
















And here's the kids' table.
















I wanted to get a picture of Zachary and Chase together because they were dressed in similar tops (a la Freddy Krueger), but Zachary wasn't too keen on that idea.
















Sara finally made it out to a Chicken Stew, and Greg and Kim were able to come as well. Greg, you're gonna have to practice keeping your eyes open during pictures. You don't want your new wife mad at you when you get get your wedding proofs from the photographer.





















Here I go practicing those self-portraits again. At least I got the majority of our heads in the shot.
















After everyone had at least a little something to eat (cuz you have to go back for seconds at some point; I mean, come on, you only get Chicken Stew once a year), we headed out to the fire to stay warm. I think Heather was being warmed from the inside out by this point.





















Sorry, Greg, I didn't mean to light your head on fire.





















I think Sara and Kim are the most photogenic people I know. Sara, you're adorable in this picture.





















And here they are looking all photogenic together.
















A bit later, I wound up back at the fire with a little bear on my shoulder. Leah was cozy inside her gingerbread girl suit and between her and the fire (and, okay, a couple of adult beverages), I was plenty warm.





















Remember how I said you have to go back for seconds? Well, here we are, gathered in the garage again.

That's Jeremy's sister Casie cheesing in the front. Then, from left to right, that's Vanessa, Heather, Chelle, and me.
































Right after we took these pictures, Vanessa's cup just sorta fell out of her hand. She explained, "I hit my own hand with my own hand." I hate when that happens.
















Here're just some random pictures from the rest of the night.

Casie and me. There go the tops of our heads again.
















Back out at the fire.
















Jeremy's dad.
















And look! Our ENTIRE heads made it into the photo.
















What happens when you microwave a marshmallow? This.
















Things that made 2010's Chicken Stew memorable:
  1. Shooting off the cannon at 11:15.
  2. The cannon setting off a nearby car alarm.
  3. The angry redneck neighbor coming over to say we woke up "him and his old lady"and he'd called the sheriff.
  4. The redneck neighbor and his "old lady" are not even 30 and they were at last year's Chicken Stew.
  5. Chelle and the cop talking in the driveway and the cop saying, "This is why I live on 10 acres."
  6. Earrings from Walmart vs. earrings from Target. (That's for you, Heather.
Can't wait to do it again next year!

2 comments:

Gma said...

The sound of the cannon probably scared the "you know what" out of them not to mention from a sound sleep! C&J -- invite them next year - bet THEY'll be front row and center. Sounds to me like your friends need new neighbors... I mean who gets their pants in a wad cuz of a few flamingos in the front yard?

Maybe ya'll need to send out flyers: "Howdy Neighbor, we're having a get together (no, you're not invited). We will abide by the sound ordinance and continue our festivities inside at __ o'clock. Up until then, anything goes!"

We're dying to know, did the police shut you down?

BTW Steph, what the heck are you trying to say in item 4?

Stephanie said...

Oops, "last" in #4 was "least," and I corrected it. Mom, I think that's what was confusing you?