Monday, August 6, 2012

Weekend Wrap-Up

All in all, it was a pretty good weekend.  Friday night, I just stayed in and held the couch down.  Hey, someone has to do it.

I had a short run – 8 miles – on Saturday and it was pretty much the perfect distance.  It was long enough to be a good workout but not so long that it half-killed me like the 14 miles I completed the Saturday before.

Our neighbors had their fourth annual tiki party Saturday night and I promised to bring something sweet to share.  I was inspired by this recipe to try something similar with caramel cake mix, Biscoff, and Biscoff Cookies.  I baked my cake, let it cool in the pan, turned it out onto my cooling rack, then headed out to the deck to work on my tan.  A little while later, the McHusband came out and asked me if there was supposed to be a pile of cake guts on the counter.

Um, no.

DSC_0155

DSC_0153

What a mess.  But notice there’s a portion of the cake missing?  What was left on the cooling rack was pretty good and the McHusband had no problem looking past the Bundt’s less-than-perfect appearance.

DSC_0157

That creamy Biscoff layer inside stays gooey even though it is fully baked.

DSC_0150

So needless to say, this little cake stayed home.  I had to bake a second treat to take to the party and you know what?  Maybe my botched Bundt was a blessing in disguise because dessert numero dos was delicious.  But you’ll have to wait to see more about that one.

Luckily, our dinner Sunday night turned out on the first go-round.  We tried a new-to-us but simple salmon recipe that the McHusband grilled to perfection.

DSC_0194

I served it alongside steamed peas and our favorite Cajun sweet potatoes.

DSC_0195

This was an excellent dinner.  If you like salmon, you should try that marinade.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

McMom said...

Wonder how that marinade would be like with pineapple juice instead of water? Hmmmm...McMom