Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rock climbing

The McHusband and I each bought a Groupon for rock climbing at a local indoor facility, Triangle Rock Club. Neither of us had ever been before and it seemed like something interesting to do, especially at a discounted price.

What we saw when we walked in:











We spent an hour and a half or so with our instructor, Mike, and 7 other people. We learned how to put the harness on, how to tie our ropes for both climbing and belaying, and we practiced climbing and belaying.

All harnessed in and ready to go!





















I actually didn't mind climbing and being up high. I'm not generally too fond of heights, but I wasn't bothered by them in this situation.











Once I made it safely up and back down, the McHusband had his turn.











There was a group of three girls and one was nice enough to take a bunch of pictures for me. I was surprised when I looked at the camera and saw that she'd even gotten ones of me belaying.











Belaying is what the person on the ground does to prevent the climber from falling very far. I'll let Wikipedia explain further. For me, belaying was harder than climbing. There's a certain rhythm to it that I just couldn't seem to find (I know, can you believe that me and rhythm weren't working?). I had not one but TWO random experienced climbers talk to me about my "technique." I certainly appreciated their tips, but what I really needed was lots more practice just to get comfortable with the moves.

The McHusband decided to do some free climbing (he probably thought it was safer than having me between him and a 20-foot fall).











One more picture of the facility, this time from the upper level. It was definitely a neat place, and I recommend it to anyone who wants to give rock climbing a try.

1 comment:

Gma said...

Way cool!