Thursday, March 17, 2011

SPD '11: Party Prep - Cupcakes and Jell-O Shots

I figured it was appropriate to start posting about our party ON the actual St. Patrick's Day holiday.

Really, I planned that all along. It's not that I was a total couch potato on Sunday and hardly did more than required to clean up after the party. Then, of course, I have a hard time being on the computer in the evenings, partly due to having to share it with the McHusband and partly because I generally don't want to sit in front of that screen after being in front of one all day at work.

So, yeah, this was totally planned. Really.

I made my first batch of filled cupcakes and I think I'm going to be making lots more. I already have a recipe for some Dulce de Leche cupcakes with a caramel filling printed out and ready to go. For the SPD party, I went with chocolate cupcakes with a mint cookies n cream filling and a cookies n cream frosting. The mint flavor in the filling was very subtle, which I wanted.

The McHusband helped me by cutting holes in my cupcakes so that I could fill 'em up.





































He trimmed the tops so that they were relatively flat and would fit back on the cupcake. You know what that means, right? Bite-sized pieces of cupcakes begging for filling-as-frosting with nowhere to go but my mouth.
















Filled cupcakes.
















I tinted the cookies n cream frosting green, which might've made them a tad unappetizing to look at, but it certainly didn't affect the taste.
















I thought the cupcake itself was really good. I used a from-scratch recipe for a dense cupcake. Shawn suggested that maybe they could've been cooked slightly less and I'd probably agree. I appreciate the honest feedback and will remember that next time.

Okay, recipes. I used this filling recipe for my frosting, but I used Oreos not the Grasshopper cookies. And I used Annie's cupcake recipe and her frosting recipe with several drops of peppermint extract as my filling. Got that? Frosting as filling and filling as frosting.

The McHusband made his Jell-O shots on Saturday. We used vodka in the lime and raspberry Jell-O and amaretto in the cherry Jell-O. I think everyone liked the cherry best.

He's checking the proof so he knows how much to add. Cuz you wouldn't want to have too much alcohol in your Jell-O shots.
















We didn't go through the Jell-O shots like we did last year so our freezer's well stocked with them right now. That yellow stuff is what's left of the Whiskey Slush. That won't make it through the weekend.























I'll try to have some actual party pictures up soon. In the meantime, feel free to come over and raid our freezer.

No comments: