Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The great debate

Wednesdays are Subway Wednesdays and Popcorn Wednesdays for me. I eat lunch out once a week (Um, do I need to spell out where and when?), and then I have my bag of popcorn with some TV that night.

More weeknights used to be popcorn nights, but then I finally did the math right (English major, remember?) and realized that one bag of my light butter popcorn actually had about 210 calories and not the 75 that I thought it did. So now I only have popcorn on Wednesdays because I take a spinning class that night and burn lots of calories, plus I read that the afterburn following a spinning class is pretty high so I might as well have my high-calorie snack when I know my body's doing something with the relatively empty calories.
















I haven't written much about my homemade ice cream on the blog (yet), but I've made a few batches and the flavor last week was Nutella. I used a recipe by Giada and I think it was pretty good. The actual Nutella flavor isn't super strong so it came across as more of a light chocolate ice cream. Even the McHusband thought it was okay for chocolate ice cream.
















So why am I talking about popcorn and ice cream? I normally don't turn down sweets. I think what flows through my veins is a trifecta: chocolate, Coke Zero, and maybe there's a little room left for some actual blood. But I REALLY like my Popcorn Wednesdays.

How much? I chose my bowl of popcorn over the Nutella ice cream. The still-soft-from-the-ice-cream-maker Nutella ice cream.
















No, I didn't choose popcorn first and then the ice cream although that thought certainly entered my mind. I'm one of those "everything in moderation" people and I know better than to totally deprive myself. But there's a difference between that attitude and just giving in to all my cravings on a regular basis. I'm not perfect, but I try to make good decisions 90% of the time.

Because 210 calories of microwave popcorn at 10:30 while watching TV is a good decision, right?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Good will power for not choosing both. I think the popcorn once a week is an excellent idea. yum yum