Friday, August 5, 2011

Recipe Recap: Mustang Week Treats

When the McHusband went on his annual Myrtle Beach weekend with the boys a couple weeks ago, I went above and beyond good wife status by providing some snacks and sweets for them.

I made Aztec Salsa minus the avocado since it wouldn't travel well. You should definitely try this stuff. I think it's going to be my go-to homemade salsa from here on out.
















I also made the spicy pretzels that are always a hit. That's them in the bag; they were still "marinating."





















Now for the sweets. I made these white chocolate macadamia nut cookies back in June and the McHusband loved them. That's probably his favorite cookie in general so I knew they had to make another appearance for Mustang Week.

I love my cookie scoop. It makes the cutest not-yet-baked cookies and it keeps all the cookies roughly the same size.
































Don't you just love a stack of cookies?





















I tweaked a boxed brownie with some (okay, a ton of) peanut butter chips.
















Don't you just love a stack of brownies?





















And finally, per the McHusband's request, I made those ugly cousin things with mint Oreos. However, due partly to the fact that mint Oreos only come double-stuffed (believe me, I'm NOT complaining) and to the fact that it's a slightly smaller package, this was a way gooier batch than the others. I wasn't sure we were going to be able to salvage it and make it into bars to go to the beach. But the McHusband was determined.

He slowly but surely peeled the goo from the aluminum foil.











































Once he got the mess freed from the foil, we put it back in the dish and stuck it in the fridge and kept our fingers crossed that it'd set up and he could cut it in the morning.

Mmm, looks delicious, doesn't it?





















Guess what? Optimism prevailed! The mess was good to go after a night chilling in the fridge so the McHusband cut it into bars and took 'em to the beach where they were enjoyed by all.

Speaking of all... The McHusband takes the (my) camera to Myrtle every year and he comes back with about seven random and usually bad pictures of the group. I asked him before he left: "Are you really going to take some pictures this year?"

You tell me, was it worth him taking the camera?

































1 comment:

McHusband said...

The top pic was taken with my phone thank you very much! :) And do you really want me carrying around the camera while heavily intoxicated?