Thursday, August 25, 2011

Recipe Recap: Heath Bar Cupcakes

You read my triathlon post so I figured you deserved a cupcake post.

I made these cupcakes for Sara's belated birthday celebration. She likes toffee and chocolate and caramel (a girl after my own heart) so I knew these cupcakes would go over well.
















That's not just chocolate syrup (no offense, Hershey's - love ya, mean it!) drizzled over the top. That's an honest-to-goodness made-from-scratch ganache.
















And no self-respecting Heath Bar Cupcake would be caught dead without some toffee bits sprinkled on top.
















I used my own frosting recipe instead of the one that came with the cupcakes. I kept the tablespoon of vanilla but used three sticks of butter, a half-cup of shortening, around 6 cups of powdered sugar, plus about half a cup of caramel syrup. The frosting doesn't necessarily taste like caramel, but the syrup takes the flavor of the frosting to another level.





















Some reviews:
  • Kim said she thought they'd be good with a little more salt. I see where she's coming from since salty and sweet go together so well. Plus I think the toffee is a little salty so maybe that gave her the craving for more salt.
  • On that note, Bronte thought that they WERE salty. So I guess whether they were or weren't depends on your sensitivity to salt.
  • Bruce said they were good but he wished for a denser cupcake. Yes, the search for the perfect cupcake consistency continues...
  • Flavor-wise, I really liked the doctored-up boxed mix. If I'm not worried about the density of my cupcake, I think I'll use this recipe from now on.
  • My coworker and someone else in the building said this was the best cupcake yet.
Mmm... I told the McHusband I wasn't going to bake anything this week, but these cupcakes are making me question my resolve...

{Recipe here}

2 comments:

Gma said...

If it's true that one eats with their eyes, well then this little lovely is calling my name! Your treats are starting to look downright professional. Shoot, maybe we should submit your name as a contestant on Cupcake Wars --- "and our next contestant is Stephanie McWife of Uber Good Bites"!

McMom said...

My writing talents don't match those of Gma, but she nailed it!! Your photo skills are right up there too! LOVE your cupcake papers!! After that triathelon you deserve a Heath Bar cupcake or TWO!! McMom