Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Bachelorette Weekend: Friday

Almost all of us got up and headed out for some kind of exercise - running, walking, or a combo of the two - Friday morning. Leigh and I are pretty evenly matched so we pounded the pavement together for four miles then I went a little further and met up with Chelle.
















Once we were all done and back at the house, we took our sweet time eating breakfast, lounging in the sun on the front porch, and finally getting ready. Eight girls needing showers and three bathrooms. Any way you look at those numbers, the math doesn't work out well for the last couple of people in the shower.

We went to the Natural Bridge Caverns that afternoon. Selena, our tour guide, was informative and entertaining and guess what? She was down in the cavern on a tour when the earthquake hit a few weeks ago. She said the ground stopped shaking but she didn't for the rest of the day. I can only imagine how nerve-wracking that would've been. I was in my office on the second floor three hours from the epicenter and it was unsettling enough there.





















I'm not going to try to explain the caverns. Basically, they were old, wet, and full of stalactites and stalagmites.
































Tricia tested the water to see if it was as cold as Selena said. Yep, a frosty 42 degrees.





















Do you see the facial profile sticking out from the right in this picture?





















How about now? The nose is just below and to the right of the light.





















Phew, no one got left behind - we're all accounted for back up at the top.
















From the caverns, we went to VMI in Lexington. Leigh was familiar with the school since her husband graduated from there. She knew about a tradition where there's a cadet parade at 4:35 p.m. every Friday so we checked it out.

On our way to the school, we passed a sign on the exterior wall of a building.





































The cadets are making their way out of that opening in the middle of the building.
















I'm not really sure who everyone was or what exactly was going on so I'm just going to post a few pictures and a video.


















































That's a LOT of young men in uniform...
















After the parade, we had dinner on the patio at the Sheridan Livery Inn. I went out on a limb and got the cheesesteak, and I couldn't pass up the sweet potato fries as my side.
















Rum and diet Coke was my drink of choice for the evening. I really liked the bottom of my glass (From the outside anyway; not so much from the inside because seeing the bottom meant my glass was empty).





















Okay, that's Friday day in a pretty big nutshell. Friday night coming up!

1 comment:

Gma said...

You ate cheese steak?