Thursday, September 1, 2011

Recipe Recap: Oatmeal Cream Pies

What was your favorite Little Debbie lunchbox treat growing up? I was particularly fond of Swiss Cake Rolls and Fudge Rounds for the chocolate, but I liked the Nutty Bars because with two-per-pack, I felt like I was getting more. Star Crunches were fourth on the list then Oatmeal Pies rounded out my top 5 faves.

After this week, though, those Oatmeal Pies - my version of them anyway - have moved to the top of the list. And by "my version," I actually mean Back to the Cutting Board's version.
















Neither the cookie nor the filling was exceptional on its own, but together? Absolutely delicious!
















The cookies and the filling were very easy to make so even though this treat seems fancier than regular cookies or cupcakes, I wouldn't say that they required more work.

Stack of treats!





















Like Emily says, the filling is fairly salty, but I think that ends up being a good thing as it pairs well with the cookies once sandwiched between a couple of them. I used just under half a teaspoon of salt and upped my powdered sugar to half a cup and I think that was a tasty combo.

The cookies baked up - out? - very well. I used my cookie scoop (I think it holds a tablespoon) and this was just right. I could still fit at least 9 cookies onto a cookie sheet so I wasn't stuck making cookies for hours, and the pies were just the right size for eating later.

Pretty cookies.
















I highly recommend you give these treats a try, especially if you need to bring something sweet to an event and want to do something a little more special than just cookies or a brownies from a box.

Sorry, Debbie, but I think I've got you beat with these. We'll see how I do when I tackle those Fudge Rounds...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't let Chase see this blog --- Grammie has a box of Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies on board just for him!!! We won't tell him Aunt BEST MAKES them from scratch!!! McMom.... bring some to Charlotte next trip!