Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Owen’s 3rd Birthday: The Big Cupcake

Shannon asked me if I would make “a few dozen cupcakes” for Owen’s birthday and pleaseprettyplease could I do them with yellow and green frosting to go along with the John Deere theme?  And would it be possible for me to also make a small cake or one of those cupcake cakes?

Did I mention she asked me on Thursday and the party was Saturday?

But I was up to the challenge.  I got some colored gels for dyeing the frosting, and I bought some yellow and white cupcake liners.

Luckily, the McHusband had gone to VIR for the weekend so I had all Friday night to do nothing but bake.  And it’s a good thing because I started as soon as I got home from Walmart, which I hit on my way home from work, and I didn’t finish until just after midnight.

VIR-small

Vickie had one of those cupcake pans from Zachary’s first birthday so I borrowed it for Owen’s special cake.  I used a Funfetti cake mix for this one and saved my from-scratch and sorta-from-scratch baking for the cupcakes.

IMG_2029

IMG_2030

I cut off the domed parts so that the two halves would sit flush against each other.  Those parts made a cake sandwich that I saved for the McHusband.  Hey, I wasn’t about to throw away perfectly good cake!

So my green frosting wasn’t exactly John Deere green.  Turns out those gel dyes I thought I bought were just gel icings for writing and decorating.  Luckily, we have a few St. Patrick’s Day parties under our belts so I have green food coloring in my cabinet. 

I “glued” the two halves of the Big Kahuna together with frosting then followed along with those perfect swirls to cover the rest of the top in frosting.

IMG_2032

IMG_2034

Not the prettiest frosting job, but it was almost midnight and I was running out of steam by this time.  I realized later that there was some malt powder blocking my tip and that’s why the frosting was coming out funny.

I had to use my cake carrier to get the oversized confection to Statesville, but it made it safe and sound and found its way to the cake stand I also brought.

IMG_2042

Owen didn’t seem to mind the not-John-Deere-Green, less-than-perfect frosting on his cupcake.

IMG_2076

Save some calories, more cupcakes and some cookies coming up!

No comments: